Top 10 Ways to Nurture a Thriving Creative Culture
From the recent SPARKCon, a creative conference for the Southern states in the US. One of the community discussions were the top 10 recommendations of how to build a creative scene in your area or, I dare say, in your country.
1. Foster a vibrant urban core featuring a diverse mix of interests, ethnicity, and ages
2. Increase focus on green spaces that allows people to enjoy the environment
3. Develop safer pedestrian and bicycle activity to encourage people to explore
4. Create dynamic public spaces where arts and technology can intermingle
5. Support collectives as incubators of creativity
6. Develop an information hub to publicly promote all creative activities from new patents to gallery shows
7. Encourage programs to foster emerging talent of all types—from small shops and restaurants to artists and inventors
8. Regularly exhibit and celebrate home grown talent of all kinds in public projects
9. Improve public transit infrastructure to bring people to public squares, urban cores, and green spaces
10. Promote tolerance and gain insight from our many different backgrounds
Very relevant, particularly in Asia, where there is a huge push for city centres such as Singapore and Shanghai to adopt a creative culture or be a creative centre.